The April edition of This Month In Control System Security focuses on what new security technologies are likely to have a big impact on DCS and SCADA systems. By new security technologies, we mean technologies that have not been widely deployed or even considered in ICS in previous years.
This month we bring back the popular panel format. It was a challenge finding two knowledgeable and candid people who were allowed to speak freely and not tied to a specific security product. Fortunately we found two. In the podcast I’m joined by:
- Jonathan Pollet, Founder and Principal Consultant with Red Tiger Security
- Brian Singer, Principal Consultant with Kenexis Consulting
We each pick a security technology, discuss why we think this will or will not catch on, and then are forced into a hard number prediction. Here are some consensus examples:
- 75% of the ICS vendors will offer a whitelisting / HIPS option in two years
- 5 % to 10% of the critical infrastructure ICS will have a one-way data diode type product deployed in two years. This is likely to be concentrated in a couple of sectors, such as nuclear.
- Somewhere between 33% and 50% of the owner/operators will be allowing mobile device access to control system data in two years.